Monthly Wine Spotlight - 2009 Fifty/Fifty
Each month, we pick a featured wine and our kitchen prepares a dish to create a perfect pairing recipe! This month the Peju's Executive Chef, Emily Buller, suggests a bottle of Peju 2009 Fifty/Fifty paired with Moroccan Spiced Quail served on top of a spring pea puree, garnished with fava beans and wilted pea shoots.
- Peju 2009 Fifty/Fifty, Buy it Here >
1. Put the quail in with the lemon zest, orange zest, 4 tbsp. olive oil and cinnamon. Allow to marinate for one hour.
2. Roast beets in 350 degree Fahrenheit oven with 1 cup of water, 2 tbsp. olive oil, and 1 tsp. salt in a covered glass baking dish or casserole- aluminum foil works well to cover. Test beets with a fork after 35 minutes. Beets are done when tender.
3. Peel beets while still warm.
4. For the citrus dressing, combine the juice of the lemon and the orange, 1 tbsp. diced shallot, 2 tbsp. olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
5. Quarter the beets and combine with citrus dressing.
6. Sear the quail over high heat in a sauté pan until skin is golden brown. Place in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for approximately thirty minutes, or until the quail leg wiggles easily and the juices are clear.
7. In the same sauté pan used for the quail, sauté kale over high heat with 2 tbsp. olive oil until wilted, then add garlic, shallot and chard. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
8. For the compote, combine blackberries, 2 tbsp. water and ¼ cup sugar over medium heat in a saucepan. Cook until blackberries are falling apart, approximately 20 minutes. Smash blackberries and put through strainer to strain out the seeds. Put liquid back into the saucepan and add ½ cup 2009 Fifty/Fifty. Cook for 10 minutes more over low heat.
Place wilted kale & chard combination on plate. Place quail atop the bed of greens. Arrange beets around the quail.
Drizzle the quail with blackberry-Fifty/Fifty compote.
View our February 2012 Wine of the Month Spotlight >
View our March 2012 Wine of the Month Spotlight >
View our April 2012 Wine of the Month Spotlight >
View our May 2012 Wine of the Month Spotlight >
View our July 2012 Wine of the Month Spotlight >