firstname.lastname@example.org — www.rachellekaldani.com
I’m a visual artist and have worked in a variety of media, including sculpting, painting, collaging, printmaking, and photography. Elements of each of these media are found in my current work. Urban scenes, weathered surfaces, and abstract visual elements are themes that resurface in most of my work. Presently, I am concentrating on creating mixed media paintings, and exploring the ancient medium of encaustic and it’s versatile characteristics I have a passion for traveling and studying the culture and architecture of the placesI visit. Translating my visual experiences become an important source of reference, inspiration and energy in my work.
I treat each project as an open opportunity to explore and achieve a certain presence individuality. Although, I start each piece with a concept in mind, during the process each work evolves and develops intuitively. My hope is that my work will inspire the viewer’s imagination and will invite them to experience a memory, a place, or just a moment in time.
My recent paintings focus on multi-layered, dense scenes that depict varied textures of urban life, inspired by flashes of my visual memories.
Reworking the surfaces by destroying and rebuilding layers is part of the working process that results in rich textures and eroded surfaces. Vintage or contemporary imagery are submerged in these landscapes to illustrate the urban decay and renewal.
Encaustic’s versatile characteristics, fused with mixed media, including found objects, handmade paper, textiles and photo transfers are my ideal materials for creating the abstract moments and expressing the mood in these pieces.
At first glance, this work appears vibrant and alive, but with a closer examination of each layer, one can experience the ambiguity, isolation, and the somber aura that are embedded within each piece.
• 2005-2009 - BFA Spatial Art, cum laude, San Jose State University, CA
• 1997-2005 - Directed Studies in Bronze Sculpture, West Valley College, Saratoga, CA
• 1997 - AA, West Valley College, Saratoga, CA
• 2009 - San Jose State University, Herbert Sanders Gallery, CA
• 2007 - San Jose State University, Herbert Sanders Gallery, CA
Group Exhibitions (partial list)
• 2012 - Up Close & Personal, Gallery 114, Portland, OR
• 2012 - EncaustiCon 2012, Gallery Nord (Honorable Mention), San Antonio,TX
• 2012 - WAX: contemporary encaustic works, Pajaro Valley Arts Council (juried by
Wendy Aikin & Daniella Woolf), Watsonville, CA
• 2009 - California conference for the advancement of ceramic art, San Jose State
Invitational Davis, CA
• 2006 - Arash Interior Design Gallery, Los Gatos, CA
• 2005-2006 - Minds Eye Art Gallery, Campbell, CA
• 2004-2006 - Twigs, Los Gatos, CA
• 1999-2002 - Elemental Arts Gallery, Los Gatos, CA
• 1992-Present - Active studio artist, Los Gatos, CA
• 2003-Present - Private workshops, Los Gatos, CA
• 2000-2002 - Ceramic lab technician, West Valley College, Saratoga, CA
• 1998-2003 - Art Docent, Los Gatos School District, Los Gatos, CA
• 1993-1998 - Clay project coordinator, demonstrator, and technician, Alta Vista Elementary School, Los Gatos, CA
World travel, Photography